Peddlers, Solicitors, Transient Merchants & Mobile Food Vendors
Licenses and Regulations
Peddlers, solicitors transient merchants and mobile food vendors wishing to work in the City of Hot Springs are subject to city licensing regulations as well as state tax licensing requirements. Peddlers and solicitors (see definitions) are required to post a $500.00 bond with the City and pay a $25.00 per day fee for each applicant. Transient Merchants are also required to post a $500.00 bond and the license fee is $100.00 per month. (see definitions). Mobile Food Vendors are required to maintain commercial general liability insurance and pay the license fee of $250 for the first year and $100 for annual renewals.
Applications may be printed off (see Application) and faxed to City Hall for review and approval or an application can be obtained by visiting City Hall at 303 North River Street, Hot Springs, SD. 57747. Please allow five (5) business days for the application to be processed.
Each peddler, solicitor, transient merchant, or mobile food vendor is required to display a Permit issued by the City.
Definition of terms
- A person, principal or agent, engaged in the selling of personal property by going about from place to place or house to house to sell such property and who carries with him such property for delivery at time of sale in Hot Springs or any municipally owned or controlled park thereof.
- A person, principal or agent, engaged in going about from place to place or house to house soliciting orders for, or offering to sell personal property for future delivery in Hot Springs or any municipally owned or controlled park.
- Transient Merchant:
- A "transient merchant" is person, , principal or agent, who engages in a temporary or itinerant business from a temporary location or structure in the city, and who, for the purpose of carrying on such business, hires, leases or occupies and land, structure, trailer or truck for the exhibition and sale of such goods, wares or merchandise and includes the sale of any article, fruit, vegetable or farm product.
- Mobile Food Vendor
- Mobile food vending/vendor(s) shall be defined as an activity whereby prepared food, either on-site or at other licensed food preparation facility, or beverages are sold to the general public from a food truck or food cart. This definition shall include both food trucks and food carts. This definition shall not include food and beverage delivery service.
- Peddling from Vehicles:
- No person shall sell or offer for sale any goods or merchandise from a cart, wagon, automobile, truck or other vehicle in the thoroughfares of Hot Springs, South Dakota. This section, however, does not apply to the delivery of farm or garden products where the order for the same has been placed in advance, neither does it apply to the delivery of goods sold in the regular course of an established business.
- The bonding and licensing of solicitors and peddlers shall not apply to salesmen doing business exclusively with retailers or merchants nor to the peddling or soliciting of orders for any agricultural product or article raise or manufactured by such peddler or solicitor in this State.
City of Hot Springs Peddlers, Solicitors and Transient Merchant License (pdf)
City of Hot Springs Mobile Food Vendor License (pdf)