Sign Up at City Hall for Upcoming Residential Recycling Service
December 9, 2015
Hot Springs, SD: The City of Hot Springs is now pre-enrolling residences to participate in the new residential recycling service being offered by the City beginning in 2016. As a result of the contract change to Fall River Sanitation beginning January 1, 2016, the City will now be offering voluntary recycling for all residences receiving solid waste services through the City of Hot Springs.
“Our current solid waste contract with Kieffer Sanitation expires at the end of the 2015 year,” City Administrator Schroeder said. “Beginning in October we issued a request for proposals that included the option of recycling. Once we received bids for both solid waste and also the possibility of recycling, the price was surprisingly reasonable to offer recycling as a voluntary program. Comparing both our solid waste rates and recycling rates to other Black Hills communities, you can receive both trash service and recycling service more affordably than what other communities pay for only trash service.”
The current solid waste price per residence is $9.67. The new contract chosen by the City Council at their November 16th meeting was awarded to the low cost provider, local Fall River Sanitation. The new cost for solid waste beginning January 1, 2016 will be $10.47/month. If a residence chooses to also participate in recycling, an additional $4.07/month will be charged, making the residence’s total $14.54/month.
If your residence is interested in recycling, here is what you need to know:
- Recycling services will be billed as part of your regular utility bill from the City of Hot Springs
- The cost to recycle is $4.07/month
- You will be provided a 96 gallon tote with a lid that will sit next to your current solid waste container
- Your recycling tote will be emptied once a month
- Recyclable materials include steel (such as canned good items), aluminum, glass, and plastic containers.
- Recycling will be single stream, meaning you can mix all of your recyclable items together without having to separate them (although we do ask you rinse them first)
If you are interested in learning more about recycling or would like to sign up early to receive recycling services, stop in to City Hall between 8 AM and 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
Last Modified: 12-9-2015-08:11:03