BATTLE MOUNTAIN SANITARIUM - VA MEDICAL CENTER
HISTORY OF THE BATTLE MOUNTAIN SANITARIUM
The Hot Springs Campus of VA Black Hills Health Care System, originally known as the Battle Mountain Sanitarium, opened its doors in 1907 as one of the "National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers" that were authorized by President Abraham Lincoln. Battle Mountain Sanitarium was the first, and only one of the soldiers homes built to focus on the medical needs of Veterans as opposed to being a "retirement home".
It was recognized as a National Historic Landmark by the US Department of the Interior National Park Service in July 2011.
ABOUT VA BLACK HILLS HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
VA Black Hills Health Care System provides primary and secondary medical and surgical care, along with residential rehabilitation treatment program (RRTP) services, extended nursing home care and tertiary psychiatric inpatient services for Veterans residing in South Dakota, portions of Nebraska, North Dakota, Wyoming and Montana. Care is delivered through the Fort Meade and Hot Springs VA Medical Centers, as well as through a number of community based outpatient and rural outreach clinics.
VA Black Hills Health Care System supports services at the Black Hills National Cemetery; the Veterans Outreach Centers in Rapid City and Martin, SD; and serves as primary health care provider for the State Veterans Home in Hot Springs. The VA Black Hills has sharing agreements with Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota Army National Guard, and many other community partners.
VA Black Hills Health Care System - Hot Springs Campus
500 North 5th St
Hot Springs, SD 57747
Phone: (605) 745-2000
Toll free: 1-800-764-5370