Peddlers, Solicitors, & Transient Merchants
Licenses and Regulations
Peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants wishing to work in the City of Hot Springs are subject to city licensing regulations as well as state tax licensing requirements. Peddlers and solicitors (see definitions) are required to post a $500.00 bond with the City (see sample bond) and a $10.00 per day fee for each applicant. Transient Merchants are also required to post a $500.00 bond and the license fee is $100.00 per month. (see definitions)
Applications may be printed off (see Application) and faxed to City Hall for review and approval or an application can be obtained by visiting City Hall at 303 North River Street, Hot Springs, SD. 57747. Please allow five (5) business days for the application to be processed.
Each peddler, solicitor, canvasser or salesperson is required to display a Peddler Permit issued by the City. A $10.00 cash deposit is required for each Peddler Permit issued and the deposit is returned to the applicant upon the return of each of the Peddler Permits issued.
Definition of terms
- A person engaged in the selling of personal property by going about from place to place or house to house to sell such property and who carries with him such property for delivery at time of sale in Hot Springs or any municipally owned or controlled park thereof, and who does not maintain a regular stock of merchandise in Hot Springs for at least six (6) months during the year in which he is peddling or soliciting is a peddler.
- A person engaged in going about from place to place or house to house soliciting orders for , or offering to sell personal property for future delivery in Hot Springs or any municipally owned or controlled park thereof is a solicitor.
- Transient Merchant:
- A “Transient Merchant” is any person, firm, corporation, partnership, association, or agents of any of them, transacting a temporary business where goods are exposed for wholesale or retail sale at any place in Hot Springs. A “temporary business” is a business established for temporary operation only. A "permanent business" is a business operating more than six (6) months in one place by the same person.
- Peddling from Vehicles:
- No person shall sell or offer for sale any goods or merchandise from a cart, wagon, automobile, truck or other vehicle in the thoroughfares of Hot Springs, South Dakota. This section, however, does not apply to the delivery of farm or garden products where the order for the same has been placed in advance, neither does it apply to the delivery of goods sold in the regular course of an established business.
- The bonding and licensing of solicitors and peddlers shall not apply to salesmen doing business exclusively with retailers or merchants nor to the peddling or soliciting of orders for any agricultural product or article raise or manufactured by such peddler or solicitor in this State.